Home Meadow Croft Gallery Exhibits Board Members Events Membership Blog Links
 
Meadow Croft

 

 

Meadow Croft is rare example of South Shore summerhouse architecture prior to the turn of the 19th century. The summer estate of John Ellis Roosevelt and his family, Meadow Croft is comprised of a 19th century farmhouse (rear section) and a magnificent 1891 addition designed by Isaac H. Green, Jr. of Sayville. Additional structures are a carriage house, an auto house, a caretaker's cottage and a swimming pool.

Meadow Croft is Suffolk County owned and part of the Suffolk County Parks Department. The care and restoration is shared by Bayport Heritage Association which first envisioned its potential as a museum 27 years ago. The organization literally saved Meadow Croft from the wrecker's ball. Many man-hours went into the painstaking restoration of the house and outbuildings you see today.

Using John E. Roosevelt's ledgers, family photos, and evidence left in the house, Bayport Heritage Association was able to have a Furnishing Report prepared that became the guide to refurnishing the house. Reproduction wallpaper and carpets as well as duplicate antiques were located and purchased. The Roosevelt and Loughlin (caretaker) families generously donated original pieces, most notably the beautiful grand piano. Enjoy each room and feel free to ask question of the docents.

Outside: Visit the flower and vegetable gardens, planted and maintained by volunteers of the Bayport Heritage Association and the Sayville Garden Club, with the harvest benefiting the Sayville Food Pantry.

 

House Tours:

June to October
Saturday and Sunday at 2 PM and upon request for groups
Contact: Harriet at 631-472-2118

 

© Copyright 2015 Bayport Heritage Association